Sir Thomas Lipton's Challenger Journeys Gloriously Up the Bay.

August 13, 1901 : Shamrock II., Sir Thomas Lipton's challenger for the America's Cup, rested off Sandy Hook Bar after a fortnight's journey across the Atlantic until daybreak yesterday.

Shortly after 5 o’clock the tug that first sighted Shamrock II when she slipped in the night before came along side and passed a big hawser over the snub green nose of the invader. Her sailors ran up her anchor singing. The hawser gradually tightened as the tug puffed cautiously ahead; the racer turned slowly toward the mouth of Gedney’s Channel, and got her first sight of Yankee land.

July 28 51° 40' 07° 10' 208
July 29 48° 25' 11°56' 207
July 30 45° 07' 16° 45' 287
July 31 41° 42' 21° 14' 284
Aug. 1 38° 08' 24° 59' 276
Aug. 2 To the Azores
Left Ponta del
Gada 6 P. M.
Aug. 3 37° 56' 29° 38' 187
Aug. 4 37° 40' 35° 22' 281
Aug. 5 37° 26' 40° 48' 259
Aug. 6 37° 16' 45° 04' 251
Aug. 7 37° 02' 51° 40' 267
Aug. 8 37° 14' 57° 06' 259
Aug. 9 38° 20' 62° 09' 247
Aug. 10 38° 49' 67° 05' 235
Aug. 11 39° 58' 71° 27' 214
Aug. 12 Arrived Sandy
Hook 8:14 A. M.
  Total : 3,768


This was the beginning of a trip that finished in an ovation such as seldom has been offered to any foreign craft in New York Bay. As the weather-beaten green hull, seared in patches by the pounding waves, flying a tattered shamrock at the truck or a stout, stubby Oregon pine mast, passed by she was instantly recognized, and a swelling chorus of salutes began. Liners, Government boats, yachts, excursion steamers, and towboats shrieked their hoarse or shrill welcomes, which the self-conscious tug towing the challenger was kept busy answering. Shamrock II herself gave acknowledgment by proudly dipping her Royal Ulster Yacht Club ensign on her taffrail. From under the heel of her topmast flew the code signal “ Thank you."

04579SWhen the little Irish fleet moved into the Narrows the shores were lined with soldiers from the forts on either side and the dwellers on shore, who stood in the rain and waved and cheered until there was no mistaking the heartiness of their welcome. Off Quarantine the Lipton tug James A. Lawrence, with David Barrie, Sir Thomas‘s American representative, on board, met Erin and Shamrock, and they waited for the doctor to board them. A brief inspection over, he gave the visitors pratique and steamed away. Shamrock moved on toward Stapleton and dropped anchor again. The Erin and the Lawrence came alongside and formed a group, which was soon surrounded by scores of craft of every description. Guns from the yachts and boat-club stations roared out a boisterous welcome, and a reception began which continued for hours.

At 2 o'clock in the afternoon Shamrock II was towed over to Erie Basin and the work of dismantling her was begun at once. The inner braces put in to give additional strength for the transatlantic voyage were removed, the jury mast lifted out, and preparations made to take aboard her big racing spars, which arrived last week. When these have been set up she will go into dry-dock for a thorough cleaning and tightening up. Then her trial spins, which will be watched with keen interest, will begin.


03439SWhile at anchor off Stapleton, Capt. Sycamore left the Shamrock and came alongside the Erin in a gig. He joined Capt. Matthews and the reporters in the discussion of the voyage across the ocean. The skipper of the challenger said they had enjoyed splendid weather, with the exception of a storm last Wednesday, and another two days later. But for these he thought she would have arrived here Saturday afternoon. During the rough weather and violent head seas of last Friday, Shamrock lost two topsail sheets and a good deal of her green paint about the waterline; otherwise she is as fit as when she left Gourock on July 27.

We were towed by the Erin more than two-thirds of the way over. Her speed was never above three-quarters, and we are as tight as a drumhead now, and ready, barring our rig, for anything that comes along.